Editor, copy-editor, proofreader
m. 00 353 (0)87 1099690
Full member of AFEPI
Professional member of SfEP
- Diploma in Book and Periodical Publishing, Napier University (three-year vocational course covering all aspects of publishing, editing and printing, 1983-86)
- In-house training (1986-98)
- Going freelance and staying there (SfEP, 1998)
- Editing on screen (SfEP, 1999)
- Practical mark-up of PDFs (SfEP/AFEPI, 2017)
Conservation and environment, defence and security, mathematics, computer science, social sciences, general non-fiction (cookery, gardening, sport).
Editing, copy-editing and proofreading (on-screen and hard copy) of books, multi-author works, yearbooks, directories, journals, newsletters, and company brochures/annual reports/publicity material.
I have 12 years’ in-house editorial experience (Editorial Research Assistant at WWF-UK, Assistant Editor at both HarperCollins Publishers and the Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies, and Publishing Assistant at Heterodox Publishing). Since 1998 I have been working as a freelance editor and proofreader, mainly for academic publishers (for example, Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, Palgrave Macmillan, Routledge and Springer-Verlag UK) but also for private companies, charities and independent authors.
Some examples of freelance work:
- National Prevalence Study, Greentown Project (Limerick University, 2017)
- Conducting Terrorism Field Research, Adam Dolnik (ed) (Routledge, 2013)
- Terrorists and Terrorism in the Contemporary World, David J. Whittaker (Routledge, 2004)
- The Good Curry Guide (Curry Club UK, 2004)
- The Truth Will Set Us Free: Armenians and Turks Reconciled, George Jerjian (2003)
- A Post Keynesian Perspective on 21st Century Economic Problems, Davidson (Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, 2002)
- Turing’s Connectionism, Christof Teuscher (Springer-Verlag London Ltd, 2002)
- The Uniqueness of our Faith (CWR, 2002)
- Europe, China and the Two SARs, Miguel Santos Neves & Brian Bridges (eds) (Palgrave Macmillan, 2000)
- Sustainability Training Pack for Local Authority Officers (WWF-UK Education,1999)