Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)
Member of Editors’ and Proofreaders’ Alliance of Northern Ireland (EPANI)
Advanced Copy-Editing (PTC, 2019)
Copy-editing Headway, Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP, 2018)
Grammar at Work, Publishing Training Centre (PTC, 2018)
Progress in Editorial Skills (PTC, 2017)
Editing with Word (SfEP, 2016)
Proofreading 2 (SfEP, 2016)
Basic Proofreading by Distance Learning (Merit) (PTC, 2015)
Proofreading, copy-editing, proofreading music
Freelance proofreader/copy-editor since 2016.
Prior to becoming a professional editor and proofreader I had a 25-year career in the music business in Northern Ireland. Former employers include the Ulster Orchestra (education/outreach) and the Arts Council of Northern Ireland (music officer); I also worked as a freelance consultant for, among others, the Arts Council (Ireland) and Queen’s University Belfast. I have worked as a freelance concerts manager for Belfast Music Society for the past 10 years.
My music background allows me to offer an editing specialism covering all periods of Western classical music history, opera, choral music, contemporary music and electroacoustic/computer music.
My other proofreading/copy-editing work has ranged from academic books on arts and humanities subjects to magazine articles on outdoor pursuits. I have also worked on marketing materials and policy documents for a wide variety of UK-based businesses and organisations, including proofreading copy for websites.
Music, arts, humanities, social sciences, management, leadership, governance, corporate, general non-fiction.
Taylor & Francis, Out of House Publishing, Colourpoint Press, Queen’s University Belfast, Full Proof, Genesis Advertising, Acis Productions, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, individual academics and postgraduate students.
- DeLamater and Collett: Social Psychology (Routledge, due 2019)
- Greenhalgh: Music and Singing in the Early Years (Routledge, 2018)
- Macken: Binding Space: The Book as Spatial Practice (Routledge, 2018)
- Labuta and Matthews: Basic Conducting Techniques (Routledge, 2018)
- Stillwell (ed.): The Routledge Handbook of Census Resources, Methods and Applications (Routledge, 2017)
- In Sara Levy’s Salon (The Raritan Players, Acis Productions, 2017)
- Fanfare and Filigree (Kleine Kammermusik, Acis Productions, 2017)
- Confluence (Ensemble Collina, Acis Productions, 2017)
- Policy documents for the Diocese of Down and Connor, including a handbook on safeguarding and child protection (2018)
- Corporate marketing materials for Ford Masters Apprenticeship Programme, Olam Cocoa, Queen’s University Belfast and others (2017–18)
- Online examination papers (ClarityEnglish, 2016)
- PhD theses for students at St Andrews University, University of Huddersfield and Queen’s University Belfast
- Academic texts for scholars at Cork University and University of South Wales
- Numerous articles for The Parliamentary Review (for Full Proof, 2018)
- Magazine articles for InTheSnow and LoveTheMountains (for Full Proof, ongoing since 2016)
- Festival programmes for the BMS International Festival of Chamber Music (2009–present)